65 bug

Hi all, this is my 1965 beetle I’ve owned for a couple of years and plan to get it on the road for summer 2020.

Jamie

3 Likes

Nice bug Jamie!

1 Like

Nice looking bug there Jamie.
Roll on Summer 2020👍🏻

1 Like

Nice bug Jamie :sunglasses:

1 Like

Be good to see it out and about this year Jamie. Great colour.

1 Like

Very nice bug, have fun and be safe

1 Like

Wow, 3 years has passed and it’s still not on the road :joy:
After 5 years of ownership, it was time to either make a serious start on the bug or sell. Ultimately, I didn’t plan on selling it so I took the plunge to strip it back, get the body off and make it solid in all the right places. I started tearing the car apart mid July and then on Tuesday night, jigs, Neil and I took the body off. It turned out the body was welded in places to the floor so it was a right pain getting them split. After further investigation, both pans are being replaced alongside one of the heater channels. Other than that, it’ll be a case of tidying up some repairs and rust spots on the body and then re-doing all the mechanical work. The aim was originally for the car to be on the road for 2025 but next year is a possibility. However, these plans may change after a few months :joy:. Here are some pics of tbr process so far, I’ll do my best and update the thread alittle more often than the first :+1:t2:

1 Like

Good to see it underway i know you’ve been wanting to make a start on it for a while. Can’t wait to see the progress

1 Like

Another day spent on the car getting it ready for welding. Engine and box out followed by the beam. Shiny new parts starting to arrive :sunglasses:

1 Like

More progress this weekend. On Friday, I started grinding back parts of the chassis that aren’t requiring any welding. It was a pretty rewarding job. Saturday the welding began, and the new pans are in place. Still a little more welding to be done on the pans but it’s looking pretty good now :grinning:

1 Like

Nice work. Body trestle looks great. Good height too. Ideal for cleaning up the area above the gearbox and the front bulkhead and inner wings.hard to do those areas without the body off.

1 Like

very nice pans great work there

1 Like

Pans now finished so we made a start to the body over the last few weekends. Heater channel cut out and new one now tacked into place. Appears to be a lot more work in the body than we first expected but it’s slowly taking shape :grinning:

1 Like

Been putting the hours into the pan recently, sealed, kurust and then a few coats of red oxide primer over the top in preparation for raptor as the final coating. It’s turned out really well so far, except from the smell the red oxide gives off :joy: The body is also taking shape with the end in sight for the welding. Almost time to start bolting it back together again :sunglasses:

looks really great

1 Like

Decided it would be a good idea to put a final coat of metal paint on before applying the raptor underseal. I ended up using screwfix own brand smooth black and I’m really impressed with how it’s turned out, would definitely recommend it.

2 Likes