Bay "Devon" wanted.

Hi,
Ok, i have a fool’s hope to own a VW “Devon” bay. Must have these:

• MOT
  • Max £2500.
    Goes to a vw enthusiast, who is a student at university of Edinburgh.
    Thanks,
    David

good luck with that

mkid - 2007-07-02 9:16 AM

good luck with that

thanks. i’ll need it.

word of warning dave, a chap my sister knows paid £2200 for what he thought was a solid bay with 4mnths mot. by the time the mot had run out it needed nearly £1000 worth of welding on the underside (had been filled and hammerited before he bought it), new shocks, new ball joints, rear drums were shot and he had a nasty hole in the footwell drivers side he found when lifting the carpet where the previous owner had glued the carpet to a rusty pan.
so beware, you may get an mot’d bay for £2500 but within a year you’ll be out of pocket nearly double that. in my opinion, you can get a relatively nice lookin t25 for £2500, which’ll be pretty solid, cost effective and shouldnt cost you the earth to put it through its next mot.
dont mean to put a dampener on things, i still hope you find what you’r looking for. i just dont want to hear about another bloke in tears when mot day comes a knocking.

why a devon? as cisco says a t25 is the way to go

t25s are the way forward. just think of future debts and your happines. a bay may be fun but if its gona skint you then it’ll soon become a burden that you’ll regret. think of the future.
the future is t25. get a panel van, slam it and then just “camper” the back to your own needs. bed, fridge, stereo. who needs a sink or a cooker?

t25’s are a poor mans bay!! bays are a poor mans splitty!! and splitty’s well there just cool as fook !! !! :lol:

but seriously tho its worth saying that what ever you decide to buy its a good idea to take someone else along with you to view and to give a second opionon, sometimes you just dont see things as you should, blinded by the thought of taken it home!!

bargains are still out there you just have to look really really hard…

bargains ae there, but its a case of waitin till the right one comes along. too many folk buyin sheds under false guidance. :rs

Hmmm…thanks for all the advice guys. I like T25’s as well. I have a split already actually (a 21 window daily driver project), but it needs some repair at the moment and its gonna take a while :slight_smile:
So, i was thinking a bay, but since they seem to be a bit expensive, i have been thinking about just getting a beetle. But, thanks for all your help. I agree that T25’s are gonna get more popular. They are really expensive here!!!
Thanks,
Dave

check out the for sale section here for ali’s bug. nice bug mots for a while and easier (read cheaper) to keep runnin.
just tryin to push a fellow student in the easiest direction. go for a bay man, as peeps have said there are bargains out there, its just a case of waiting. hows the 21 window anyway? whats needin done?
alan

jigs - 2007-07-03 12:24 AM

but seriously tho its worth saying that what ever you decide to buy its a good idea to take someone else along with you to view and to give a second opionon, sometimes you just dont see things as you should, blinded by the thought of taken it home!!

And jigs should know, eh mate :lol:

cisco kid - 2007-07-03 1:06 AM

check out the for sale section here for ali’s bug. nice bug mots for a while and easier (read cheaper) to keep runnin.
just tryin to push a fellow student in the easiest direction. go for a bay man, as peeps have said there are bargains out there, its just a case of waiting. hows the 21 window anyway? whats needin done?
alan

I will. The 21 W had a total mechanical rebuild (susp, brakes, gear, engine). There were also some serious rust issues, such as sills, lower front, battery tray, skylight window rust.
The skylight rust is gonna cost me a lot as its best to change both sides. But, its watertight at the moment, so i will save up :slight_smile:
Cheers,
David

look forward to seein it. maybe best splashin yer cash gettin the samba fixed as opposed to buyin a bay?

cisco kid - 2007-07-03 11:50 AM

look forward to seein it. maybe best splashin yer cash gettin the samba fixed as opposed to buyin a bay?

Yeah, im thinking about that :slight_smile:

my 21 w:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f387/davelarue/DSC00870.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f387/davelarue/DSC00869.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f387/davelarue/DSC00865.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f387/davelarue/DSC00868.jpg

Needs new paint and a lot of tlc…too bad i dont have the money to fully restore it.
David

just kep it primer, looks cool as is.

cisco kid - 2007-07-03 3:53 PM

just kep it primer, looks cool as is.

you think so?? I really would like some color…its too grey…
This is whats underneath the grey primer. I really like the front and rear light blue color:

that blue is cool. hae you tried rubbin the primer off to see whats unbeneath? the patina look is pretty cool.

cisco kid - 2007-07-03 4:57 PM

that blue is cool. hae you tried rubbin the primer off to see whats unbeneath? the patina look is pretty cool.

underneath the light blue is just metal. I’m not sure whats underneath the darker blue (on the doors). I am thinking i really wanna paint it a matte paint in the same light blue color. I’m just doing this myself, as i don’t wanna waste money on a nice paintjob before the whole car is fully restored which won’t happen before i have a job, home, garage, years of experience :slight_smile:
For now i’m just gonna paint it something cool. I dunno about two tone colors just yet…
D

you could always sell the 21 window and buy a bay? im almost looking for a new project :smiley: