Beetle chassis replacement

Hi, can anyone confirm if I need to have an MoT carried out on my 1974 1303 after fitting a replacement chassis?
I heard that if I get an MoT carried out I could not then declare it MoT exempt.
Is this correct?
Any advice on this matter would be much appreciated.

If you MOT it, you can declare it MOT exempt at a later date. But I’d recommend getting a MOT every year for all they cost good to have someone look over the car for safety.

Hi Jigs,
Thanks for your reply.
I was intending to put the car in for a ‘safety check’ to ensure that the brakes, suspension and steering were all fine anyway.
However as this would probably cost me the same as an MoT I might as well book it in for an MoT instead as you telling me that this will not affect me declaring an MoT exemption in the future.
Cheers!

1 Like

As I understand the wording, it is not MOT exempt but MOT self certifying. You are responsible for declaring it roadworthy but if there is an accident the onus falls on you to show roadworthiness. I would also recommend getting an MOT every year just to have that bit of paper. The regs also seem to say that you need an MOT if there have been any “substantial modifications” in the last 25 years. This would be for example putting in a Porche engine or turbo etc. Anything which was an option for the original model is not classed as substantial so a replacement chassis of the same model I understand would be not substantial.

Hi Beppy,
Thanks for your reply.
Once my 1303 restoration is finally complete (apart from a paint job) I have decided to book it in for an MoT as advised by Jigs and yourself.
This will ensure it is safe to go back on the road without any worries!
I also read the rules of MoT exemption and was surprised that replacing a like for like chassis is not considered a ‘substantial modification’.
Anyway, I will keep you guys posted on my progress - I hope to be in a position to get on the road by July…
Cheers.

1 Like

Interesting area. Having replaced pans I’d suggest an MOT so you have a paper trail that it’s been done right.
Personally, beyond that and if you’re fastidious around things like brakes and crucial areas, I’d be tempted to skip MOT.
Las5 had my Ghia MOTd three years back as wasn’t confident with steering. Right enough, was flagged and sorted.
I’d agree with substantial mods - things like lowering, different engine, etc.
Good luck. :+1:

Hi all,

I know I was hoping to get my 1303 on the road in July but it was August before I was ready to put it in for an MoT.

Anyway, the good news is that it passed the MoT with no advises and the inspector even complimented me on my good work saying ‘it’s the best Beetle I’ve tested for a long time"!

So what now?
I’ve declared it road tax exempt and had the wheel alignment checked and adjusted (as I fitted new tyres all round before putting it in for the MoT).
I think that the front wings could probably do with replacing as there’s quite a lot of hidden rust around the headlight bowls - does anyone have decent front wings for sale?
Obviously I’ll have to decide on what to do about this as I intend to get a full respray done as there’s a lot of previous patchy paintwork repairs present!

Also, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced seat re-upholsterer?
As it still has the original basketweave vinyl seat covers fitted, they’re obviously very tired now.

I’ll really have to make an effort to come over to meet you guys soon at your monthly meet at Hermiston!

Cheers for now!
Gordon.

Good news on the MOT!
Upholstery, 2 I can think of Edinburgh, Willie Ramsay @loanhead and Dave? Hannah at Mussleburgh.
Next meet is Wed 8th !