Brakes

Hello just joined the club and have finally bought a 1969 1200 Bug. This is going in shortly for new wings and body repairs and a full re spray. Can anyone please tell me a fix for the brakes or lack of them, they are almost non existant although the handbrake is fine. It has drums all around with the standard wheels. If a front brake conversion is fitted do you have to replace the wheels or can you keep these fitted with the conversion?

Hi Spike and welcome. Sorry i don’t know much about beetles as i have a bay but I would check there are no leaks in the pipes/ unions and they are bled properly then check they are properly adjusted as per manual. If still nothing then check the cylinders.

However there are loads of beetle experts on the forum and I am sure they will be along shortly to offer specific advice and tell me what a numpty I am as this is a general process of elimination.

Good Luck anyway.

get a big disc conversion,

should have the same stud pattern,

csp kits are about £700 money well spent,

plenty of experts on here will give you better more technical advice,

i’m a novice when it comes to mechanical things heehaw.gif

Thanks for the reply.

I thought a conversion would be the answer however £700!! Could tell my partner it cost £30 on Ebay I suppose. There must be cheaper ones I hope. Cheers

hi spike i’m upgrading my brakes from drum to disk on a 71 bug. I’m using the standard discs which means i can keep the standard 4 stud wheels. I’ll let you know how it goes.I have been told that it is worth the effort. £180 for Discs, Inner & Outer bearings, Hub seals, Calipers, Pads, Hoses, Caliper bolts and locking tabs, all you need to do is get spindles for your discs as they are different from the drum spindles.

you can now get brackets to hold on your calipers so you dont have to get new spindles
also have you tried adjusting your brakes

Disc conversions are indeed good, but it should be possible to have more than adequate brakes with drums. Check that the shoes are adjusted properly all round. Bleed the brakes, infact flush the sytem through - I’ll bet the fluid is ancient.

If your brakes are still poor, then you have a fault. Fix that first before you think about a disc conversion.

Nothing will stop your bug quicker than an unlit skip!

Alan - 2008-09-26 9:30 PM
Nothing will stop your bug quicker than an unlit skip!

LMFAO! :lol:

In light of all sound advice above, I’m firmly with the disc brakes up front skool for today’s traffic conditions.
There are several options to choose from.
Here’s my three :

1. A new ‘ready to fit kit’ from CSP or Creative will do the job nicely and you pay the price accordingly for brand new components.
  2. A secondhand VW original spec sourced conversion will be much cheaper, but be prepared to get intimate with calipers, seals and their fluids.
  3. As above (usually more bucks), secondhand Porsche 944 stuff - vented discs, much bigger pads, bulletproof calipers, caliper adaptors, change of stud pattern to 5 x 130mm.

Downside of #3 : needs Porsche pattern wheels.
Upside of # 3 : Porsche wheels - and Porsche brakes!
:thumb:

If it’s a 1200 drum brakes are more than adequate so as said they either need adjusted or you have another problem

Thanks I have seen a disc conversion including all the parts however costs £689. Cheers

Tried to adjust however makes no difference. Cheers.

I will try that and get back to you how I get on however car going in to bodyshop soon. Maybe get them to look at it whilst its in. Cheers

I had heard that. I assume if a CSP kit was fitted up front I would not require to replace the master cylinder as it should be a duel circuit system already? Also would I be able to keep the original wheels? Cheers

Cheers I will have to check the system and weigh up the pros and cons of discs.

http://www.vwheritage.com/ssp/Brakes/Brake-Conversion/?templateID=ssp

kit there for you £246 you will get cheaper aswell.

Thanks I think I will probably go for that.

spike - 2008-09-27 8:04 PM

I had heard that. I assume if a CSP kit was fitted up front I would not require to replace the master cylinder as it should be a duel circuit system already? Also would I be able to keep the original wheels? Cheers

If you upgrade to 4 bolt beetle brakes you are correct, you dont need to change the master cylinder. I have done this conversion in the past, and its pretty straightforward, particularly with the Kit. German and Swedish do the whole conversion kit for a reasonable price.