fastest engine replacement?

whats the quickest anyone has changed an engine in?

ive not done it yet but i’m going to do it with the beetle soon, from what i know it can be done very quicky, drop the engine only take a few minutes when you know your shit. i’m on a quest to learn all about that stuff soon.
mark

ask mark he knows all about engines in bits

i was down to less than 20 mins in the bus

took us a bit longer to put it back in one night tho !! eh mate

damn clutch tool thingy useless piece o c**p

27 seconds to get it out but it wasn’t pretty - ask Seamonsta (VW Action circa 1980 something).

Seriously: 2 hours is my best for a clutch replacement on the street outside.

Davey - 2006-08-03 9:30 PM

ask mark he knows all about engines in bits

just watch yer back when its all back together,will i wave on the way past? :smiley:

All I’ve got written in an old diary (Sunday, September 1st 1991) is:
“Botched engine change comp!”
Means we must have taken over 27 seconds then eh Alan…? :lol:

p.s. less than 20 mins was just for taking it out!!! putting it back in ALWAYS went a lot slower!!

right so if I bring my new clutch for bus next wednesday and all tools needed then we could do it whilst havin our blether? :lol:

Ahem - and would you feel good driving around afterwards?
Engine removal and replacement is not about speed - it’s about getting the job done right!
Sure, any grease monkey can drop an aircooled engine in a few minutes - but I wouldn’t want the damn thing back! I’ll spend well over an hour checking and double checking things before I drop or replace one of my motors…

thats fine as 2hours in and out and an hour for checking is max 11pm and i’ve seen some die hards still at Flott after then :smiley:

purplebug - 2006-08-04 11:46 AM

right so if I bring my new clutch for bus next wednesday and all tools needed then we could do it whilst havin our blether? :lol:

yeah im up for that,infact ill do it on my own while you have a nice pint and relax,ill drop the engine out and get it done by 11 no problem,it will be running sweet when im done :stuck_out_tongue:

it’ll take you til 11 too find engine!!! thanks for offermate. send me a list of tools you need and i’ll have a word with Kieran. think he’s got some new ones from toys’r’us :lol:

seamonsta - 2006-08-04 10:16 AM

All I’ve got written in an old diary (Sunday, September 1st 1991) is:
“Botched engine change comp!”
Means we must have taken over 27 seconds then eh Alan…? :lol:

Yeh - was that the time we took over a minute? :smiley:

A hammer and chisel and a box of matches to see when its getting late should do it (http://photobucket.com)

purplebug - 2006-08-04 2:32 PM

thats fine as 2hours in and out and an hour for checking is max 11pm and i’ve seen some die hards still at Flott after then :smiley:

OK - count me in for it then! I won’t be getting my hands dirty of course as Mark’s volunteered the labour. :wink:
I’ll just supply the expertise verbally, if you supply the lubrication (Deuchars, natch…)

alex i’d like to know where you get those cool smilies!!!

It’s just a case of saving as many wee gifs and icons as you like to yer pictures folder, then uploading them to photobucket ( http://photobucket.com/ ) or another online picture hosting site and posting the ‘IMG’ (image) link here.
Remember, for this forum you have to lose the “[/IMG” part at the end, but leave the closing bracket “]” and remove the closing bracket after the first "

Hope that makes sense as I can’t describe it any more geekworthy than that…