First Serious trip im my bay. Suggestions for avoiding mechanical nightmares

Hi. I’m planning a trip in my van for next summer. In order for it to go smoothly, I plan on making sure the van is pretty much spot on. I believe the wheel bearings to be ok. I think the clutch is a little low (biting point is quite far down with new cable fitted) and I think I should adjust the valves. I have a spare accelerator cable (in my tool box) and new tyres on the front. I have also fitted the petronix ignitor (although I keep the old points in my toolbox).

What modifications/ maintenence would you guys suggest. I have a twin carb setup I’ve been considering fitting, and just bought an external oil filter kit on flea bay.

What would you suggest to make the thing a bit more stable at speed? new steering and suspension bushes/ tie rods? Is the steering rack able to be tightened?

What security would you suggest?

I’m taking my woman on her first camping trip, so I don’t want it to be a nightmare for her.

Any suggestions will be appreciated

you dont say what twin carb set up you have bought. Whatever it is make sure it has the right jets and is set up properly well before hand. If you still have a gene instead of an alternator, make sure you have a spare regulator with you. Spare set of leads, rotor arm and dizy cap handy and take up no space. Also fit fresh fuel filter. Steering box can be adjusted to take out slack. Full service before you go, and your set.

I forgot which carb setup I bought. They were pict something something. Ebay special. still not taken them out of the box.

Take spare rocker cover gaskets, in fact you should pic up a full gasket set.

I’ve had issues in both bugs and busses with these leaking on long trips.
And they cost a groat.

Good luck,

Bob

mikeybjettaman - 24/11/2009 12:51 PM

I forgot which carb setup I bought. They were pict something something. Ebay special. still not taken them out of the box.

Probably the twin solex set up. Either way it will not come with the right jet sizes.

If old tyres were worn unevenly before being replaced check there is no play in the balljoints. Spare gasket set and spare bulbs if going to europe. Security wise best to keep the van parked up in the campsite in unfamiliar cities that way there is no danger of break ins, when we went round europe we took public transport into towns and had no security issues. Take a few tools and a manual most issues are easily fixed on route. Have fun.

The old tyres were just old. Didn’t like the look of them. I’d like to put some shiney new ones on the rear too, but might just be paranoid. I’m planning on doing the valves, so I’ll be replacing the rocker gaskets soon, but full gasket set? Mmm, worth considering but I wonder if a week of engine rebuilding is what my other half fancys on hollday :stuck_out_tongue:

Know anywhere where I can get new jets for the carbs?

lots of oil incase you dont buy a gasket set .

I’d go with the idea that if you have it you won’t need it. Generally works…

ALMOST FORGOT TO SAY YOUR AA CARD. NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT.

mikeybjettaman - 26/11/2009 8:38 AM

The old tyres were just old. Didn’t like the look of them. I’d like to put some shiney new ones on the rear too, but might just be paranoid. I’m planning on doing the valves, so I’ll be replacing the rocker gaskets soon, but full gasket set? Mmm, worth considering but I wonder if a week of engine rebuilding is what my other half fancys on hollday :stuck_out_tongue:

Know anywhere where I can get new jets for the carbs?

U dont say what theyare? not sure about solex carbs, but fast road car on ebay does all weber jets.

i’ll have a look next time I’m at my folks house. AA. Been thinking about getting one.

AA £7 for the firs year.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-breakdown-discounts

K