MIG Welding.

How can you tell if the gas runs out in the midle of a job?

From my recent experience , weld will start to splatter and wont be as smooth as when you are welding with the gas doing its job. As a newbie to welding it took me a good ten minutes to suss it wandering why my slightly below average welding went to crap. Another thing to do is listen for the gas before you fully depress the trigger everytime. :beers:

Sean - 2008-06-09 11:16 AM

From my recent experience , weld will start to splatter and wont be as smooth as when you are welding with the gas doing its job. As a newbie to welding it took me a good ten minutes to suss it wandering why my slightly below average welding went to crap. Another thing to do is listen for the gas before you fully depress the trigger everytime. :beers:

Tends to look porous as well.

Aye totally porus in some cases, dont take your vw’s to john tonner of fauldhouse for any welding, he’s made a right mess of mine, took it back on friday to get him to sort it out as i couldnt get it out my head. :rs

I didnt like the look of it either Dean! Glad your gonna get it sorted! Didnt realy want to say anything wen i saw it!

As Keith said you really know wen your out of gas! Wen im welding (everyday) its the sound it makes that keeps me right like a sortish crackling sound that almost peirces yer ears! :thumb:

Good welding sounds like nicely sizzling bacon on the hob.

Bad welding sounds like popcorn going off.

The novice error is to set the gas flow high than needed and use it up very quickly.
When you half press the trigger you get a soft “ffffffff” sound. If you get a “PUfffffff” sound you can probably turn it down a bit.
A bit of testing will find the point when the gas is too low.

Obviously, if you’re welding outside in a breeze, you need more gas flow.

Cheers.