My first ever Beetle

Yup, I’ve done it. The big T25 camper has been sold and a nice 68 1500 beetle called Emma has taken it’s place.
Bought it from Hutch (Ian) of West of Scotland VW Club and I’m a happy happy man. Ian was a bit sad to see it go, made it hard for me to buy it. But wow what a car, the start of something good.

It came with the trophies it had won in the 90s at Doune and VW Action and pictures of the resto done by Old Bugga of WoSVWC, cool stuff, really pleased.

Here are some photos.

Nice looking 1500, running on wider than stock rims from what I can see. will make a good practical run around for the wean. :thumb:

Looks like the same bug that convoyed down with my bug to Action '89.

Have fun,

Bob

Could well be, I think it won a price there, got them all in the back of the car biggrin.gif

nice looking bug mate dancinnanagif.gif

Yeah well pleased. I’m looking forward to make it more my own, I’m not gonna do anything weird to it as it looks cool as it is (got a few rusty patches but nothing too bad, but they need to be done). I want to get drop spindels on the front, some nice accessories like a safety star, mooneyes surfers foot pedal, probably US Spec bumpers, more mooneyes stuff, car stereo, need to see how and where tho, might go in the glove compartment. But no alloys, I like the “stock” wheels, or I need to come across really cheap BRM 4s :thumb:

i can remember it in the 80s at doune etc when it belonged to alistair?
one of my favourite beetles from up here good to see its stayed in scotland.
have fun…

I was hoping to go to the Hawes Inn tomorrow, but can’t make it axe.gif
But I’ll be at the Flott next month

The Dutch Bloke - 2008-06-17 9:07 AM

Yeah well pleased. I’m looking forward to make it more my own, I’m not gonna do anything weird to it as it looks cool as it is (got a few rusty patches but nothing too bad, but they need to be done). I want to get drop spindels on the front, some nice accessories like a safety star, mooneyes surfers foot pedal, probably US Spec bumpers, more mooneyes stuff, car stereo, need to see how and where tho, might go in the glove compartment. But no alloys, I like the “stock” wheels, or I need to come across really cheap BRM 4s :thumb:

Got some dropped disk spindles for sale, band new.

Send you a PM, how far does it drop?

Blue '68 1500’s all the way! Glad to see you’ve picked up what you want. Check the size of the track rod ends on your car, they might still be the smaller ones (your car is on the year of change) so you may need to fit later ones if you use dropped spindles.
Cheers
Kenny
:thumb:

I think the car was done up by Alastair Brown.

Just after he’d done it, it did very well at the Callendar Classic Show. There were about 30 or 40 clubs, each club judged their own cars and entered their best car forward for the Best in Show. This car was high in the rankings, I can’t remember the details. A few of us were in the officials tent later and had a chance to look at the judging returns. This car was placed well by a lot of clubs. One club had actually placed it as their choice for best of show - the Jaguar Owners Club! I saw the judging forms myself, we were all surprised and delighted. At the time it really was a superb car, totally standard and as near to showroom as made no odds.

If my memory serves me well, the carb was over polished!

I’m not sure if I’m able (and want) to get it back to that status, but I do want to do it up. There are a few rusty bits that need attention and last weekend I noticed that the flooring on the passenger side (did I mention it’s a RHD?) was a bit wet, so need to check that asap.

It’s good fun to drive and it’s got it’s little quirks especially the indicator handle (is that how you call it?). When turning right I need to hold it up and when turning left I either need to keep it pushed down or do it really slowly and as soon as the indicators are on leave it in that position :lol: so need to sort that aswell.

Well we’re gonna keep the beetle and get a nice cheap run around as the new family car. Which means I can do with it what ever I want!!

SLAM IT!!! It’s gonna be low, with a narrowed front beam. Some nice wheels (smoothies maybe, i just love m) bowdown.gif

Get rid of the bumpers and maybe de-chrome it completely.

But first it’ll need some welding for MOT biggrin.gif

Finally the MOT has been done and the beetle’s back on the road.

Was pretty cool when I came to collect it. I heard quite a bit of noise and thought “Oh god one of them sportscar people is showing of”. But when I was able to get a good look it seemed that it was a 1968 blue 1500 beetle with the new tail pipes attached to the new (stock) exhaust. And Mo at Roseburn Garage was just enjoying the new sound of my beetle, how sweet dancinnanagif.gif dancinnanagif.gif dancinnanagif.gif dancinnanagif.gif

Now we need to get the second car (well we need to et some money back from the nice revenue people) and then the real fun can begin. Got loads of ideas for the interior and exterior.

Ma new tailpipes!!

bowdown.gif

Happy days!!See you at the next Blether…