My new project

Bought this off ebay. Its pretty good, but not good enough for my standard, so a project is brewing. I’ve fancied a mk1 Polo since owning a couple of mk2 polos in the 1990s. Hard to find a decent original one though, but this one will do the job and about the most original I could find. I love the chrome bumpers and retro 70s dash.

biggrin.gif

bowdown.gif That is a very cool ride Keith …love it and it looks clean!!!
Whats your plans with it? heehaw.gif

Slammed with a set of steels and big logo hubcaps!? biggrin.gif

The one i wont do is slam it, im too old for that. But a vintage speed theme does apeal.

well cool keith

Looking forward to seeing it transform

Cool! Had one about 15 years ago it was my first ever car… Was originally the same colour but after the bonnet blew off I changed it to a green one… Beware of seized bonnet catches!!

that looks amazing. has someone had that stored for years?

The story goes it was owned by a university professor right up until 2009. It had sat for a while and had 61k on the clock. An ‘enthusiast’ bought it, got it resprayed and mechanically up to stratch, and put 10k on it until I bought it. The car is very good for its age. But it will get the ‘Miller’ treatment in due course. I intend to put it on the road until the green beetle is sorted, and then pull it off the road for ‘the works’.

Slammed, bbs splits and a 20v turbo conversion. Keep rest of looks standard…sleeper :slight_smile:

Cracking find Keith! w00t.gif :thumb:

These seem even rarer than Mk.1 Golfs nowadays and that one does indeed look mint!

Now the big question - is it too good to go rallying in…? heehaw.gif

Love it, can’t wait to see the end result.

Very clean ride. Wouldn’t do much than keep it stock.:thumb:

seamonsta - 14/7/2012 3:11 PM

Cracking find Keith! w00t.gif :thumb:

These seem even rarer than Mk.1 Golfs nowadays and that one does indeed look mint!

Now the big question - is it too good to go rallying in…? heehaw.gif

Considering I fully restored the beetle, before taking it rallying, the answer is obvious. Of course.

I would agree it is rarer than a mk1 golf. But although there is a lot of early 80s golfs running around, its a different story with 70s mk1 golfs. By sheer fluke, and young fella came past my house last night in a 77 golf. In a nice shade of Florida blue, it was a 1.1 4 door cl, with only 30k on the clock. What a nice find. The advantage of a golf, is you can get pretty much anything for them. However, parts for a mk1 polo, particularly rubber and trim are very difficult to source. Fortunately the mk3 polo running gear will fit the shell.

keith - 17/7/2012 1:14 PM

Considering I fully restored the beetle, before taking it rallying, the answer is obvious. Of course.

Ah, of course…! :lol:

Though we’ve agreed it’s gonna be an ideal VW for classic rallying, I’ve always fancied turning one into this for street & strip…

wow, that is lovely. The lines on a mk1 are lovely, it looks way better than the later cars. i want that spot lamp grill.

Thats cool Alex B)

Dunno where I first saw and saved that image, but it’s a far nicer “S5” than the current fat-assed Audi Coupe called an S5! :thumb:

Lines are neat, grille is trick, fat Porsche alloys and tombstone seat backs all look cool… B)

With Kenny’s help I’ve made some good progress. It now has a new timing belt (which replaced the 35 year old original!), water pump, thermostat and fan switch. I replaced the rear box. It also got fresh points, plugs and a tune up and runs sweet as a nut. Just need to check over the brakes and get some tax.

I have also acquire a NOS front and rear valance, and some rear arch repair panels. Most of it is genuine VW.

What I need more though is a new top radiator hose. They are no longer available. At some point the radiator has tipped back and the fan took a chunk out the hose. We have botched it for now but I need a better one. The later hose for the mk2 is different.

I’ve also sourced a set of very early mk1 Golf GTi alloys. Hopefully we can strike a deal. They will give the perfect vintage speed look that I’m seeking.

Inspiration:

This looks quick

Those rims were also fitted to this.

I like the black bonnet.