Need new front tyre

This must have been asked quite a lot, but…

My rhs front tyre is a goner. Drove on the A1 at 65mph when I noticed the White wall flying past the window and the way the beetle was handling biggrin.gif
I just phoned the local tyre centre (McConechy’s) and he went on about how it’s a special size which will need to be ordered, blablablablabla.
Well the size is (I guess you all know but hey look at my signature) 165SR15. I get the 165 and the 15 and I guess the R is Radial, but I don’t get the S. I had a look on the internerd and the S is the old way of showing what profile it is?

So would it be best to get 2 new “modern” front tyres? But what profile do I need?

The spare is a 155 and I kinda like the look of it, or are those too thin?

The tyre you are talking about is a 165 by 80 profile. Try
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/
There is quite a few available at the moment in this size. Personally I find the Firestone poor particularly in the wet. I have bought a set of Hankooks for my project beetle (good reviews) but have yet to try them, Toyo look good as well.
Original beetle tyres were 155/80, which are a bit on the narrow side for anything except a stock rim, and even then I would prefer the wider 165. If you intend to lower the car it will make choosing more difficult, i.e. wing rubbing, in which case you need a different profile. I run 175/65 tyres on the 64 beetle.

The Dutch Bloke - 26/2/2009 3:10 PM

This must have been asked quite a lot, but…

My rhs front tyre is a goner. Drove on the A1 at 65mph when I noticed the White wall flying past the window and the way the beetle was handling biggrin.gif
I just phoned the local tyre centre (McConechy’s) and he went on about how it’s a special size which will need to be ordered, blablablablabla.
Well the size is (I guess you all know but hey look at my signature) 165SR15. I get the 165 and the 15 and I guess the R is Radial, but I don’t get the S. I had a look on the internerd and the S is the old way of showing what profile it is?

So would it be best to get 2 new “modern” front tyres? But what profile do I need?

The spare is a 155 and I kinda like the look of it, or are those too thin?

The “S” is the speed rating of the tyre see link below!

http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/speed.asp

It’s possible for a car to run thousands of miles without anything needing done but refuelling - and eventually - new tyres!
I think F1 makes that point quite well too, but they’re thrashing that rubber to death.

Hence, essential reading for tyre geeks here :

:thumb:

keith - 26/2/2009 4:09 PM

Original beetle tyres were 155/80, which are a bit on the narrow side for anything except a stock rim, and even then I would prefer the wider 165. If you intend to lower the car it will make choosing more difficult, i.e. wing rubbing, in which case you need a different profile. I run 175/65 tyres on the 64 beetle.

With Stock you mean the 4.5" wheels I guess?

The Dutch Bloke - 27/2/2009 11:44 AM

[QUOTE]keith - 26/2/2009 4:09 PM

With Stock you mean the 4.5" wheels I guess?[/QUOTE]
Yes, although its worth noting that early beetle wheels were 4.25" wide.

you still wanting ma old wheel cos i’ve found it. If your wanting to put your new tyre on it :thumb:

Yes please.
It’s just weird but I think I’ve got 5 wheels (spare wheel included) all 4.5" (says so on the wheel underneath the hub cap) but with different off sets… :think
The spare wheels seems to be the one with the most off set and the RHS front wheel has a different off set from the other 3 wheels.
So did the stock beetle wheel (4x130) have different off setts???
I think I’m losing the plot here…
w00t.gif axe.gif

I know that Type 3 wheels had different offset but are exactly the same as bug ones otherwise. you may have one of those fitted on your car.