new engine

well guys this is now decision time on what engine i am going to get for my bug, the good bit is the amount of feed back i am going to get from the guys who have been tinkering with bugs for years, imagine the wealth of knowledge,expierience and help im going to get in replys to this post.

should i buy new of the shelf

get my engine bored

get one built after i get feed back

basically i want an engine with plenty grunt, good MPG when driven sensibly, and to wipe the smiles of all the boy racers faces out my way wen they turn there noses up at my bug.

am i asking for too much

cheers

Welcome Davey - You are now entering the scary world of endless possibilities! Mwooohahahahaaaghhh :lol:
I was certainly fooled (by the Crail thread) into thinking you were the kind of dark horse who turns up at a meeting with a dodgy generator and flat battery, then re-appears after an ‘alternator conversion’ with some street-stormer of a motor built on the sly… :wink:
Anyhoo - sounds like ya need Laurie Pettitt’s number! I’ll pm ya… :slight_smile:

ijust got a stanard 1600 from laurie and have to say i was well happy with the all round service and engine is going great so far so good.
mark
or you could spend about 1000£ and install tdi… crazy

Most of the “sporty” engines in the club have been built by Laurie, this way you know what your getting. When it comes to tuning it up, my brother does the best job in town, ask Alex, Rob etc.

keith - 2005-10-06 1:34 PM

Most of the “sporty” engines in the club have been built by Laurie, this way you know what your getting. When it comes to tuning it up, my brother does the best job in town, ask Alex, Rob etc.

Is he good with dual carbs? I’m having no luck. :huh:

lucky white heather Ni

Oi! I’ve not even mentioned the fact that we were brought home on a low-loader last night. :axe

no shame in that mate happened to me a few months back when i went on the cruise, my dynamo went and the battery lost its charge, car wouldnt start, Alex and ally to the rescue, keith too, Tow truck home, now got alternator he he

weve all done it at some point

ni - 2005-10-06 9:36 PM
Oi! I’ve not even mentioned the fact that we were brought home on a low-loader last night.

Oh you didn’t did ya?!? :o
I saw you flash us cheerio as you turned off onto the M80, and said to Ally “At least Ni’s battery’s still working…”

ni - 2005-10-06 5:57 PM
Is he good with dual carbs? I’m having no luck. :huh:

It’s his speciality Mate! :slight_smile:

what about a nice type 4?

Engine Type 1, 1776cc
Cam Engle 120
Carbs Dellorto 40 DRLA x 2
Heads JMR 044 (40 x 35.5mm)
Compression ratio 8.5:1
Max BHP 124.9 @ 6100rpm
Max Torque 120.1ftlbs @ 5000rpm
Ring & Pinion 4.37
Gear Ratios 3.78/2.06/1.26/.89
0 - 60mph 6.45 secs
1/4 mile 14.98 @ 88.53mph

thats blagged off the JMR website useing a 69mm crank and 90.5 pistons.
Why not take the above and add a long stroke crank; 78mm would give 2007cc, or 82mm would give 2110cc. You could be heading for a good 140bhp+

Or alternatively Alan, stick with a 1776 and fit a turbo. This is the approach that Bruce is now favouring. More horses with potentially better fuel consumption, whilst maintaining a nice strong block and heads

This turbo approach is something a lot of us are thinking… :slight_smile:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

by the looks of the smileys davey u are thinking of a turbo to.or are you leading us astray???
i hate to be a boy racer but i would love a dump valve on my bug.swooooosh