Nice little mexican

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=767867
Reminds me of that great little red mexican beetle I owned. Low miles, solid body (begging for a T cut), and almost rot free. Get the price down a bit more and if its as good as he says, its a nice little beetle worth snapping up. Up until C reg they were stlll being imported into Germany so the build quality is pretty good.

What happened after c-reg (86?) regarding build quality? quite a lot of disagreement re mexican beetles build quality/metal quality etc?

mark.

marky - 12/4/2012 6:37 PM

What happened after c-reg (86?) regarding build quality? quite a lot of disagreement re mexican beetles build quality/metal quality etc?

mark.

In Germany they were selling beetles up until 1985 (but they were imported from Mexico after 1978) so the build quality had to be good. I found the paint on mine was excellent. A nice thick coat of 2k, as good as any early 80s golf. The chrome was still good and the Germans gave them a thick coat of underseal once imported. This was a good thing, but is also a catch because it goes hard with age and can trap the water. The mexicans painted the beetles on the floor pan. If you chip away the thick underseal you will find that the pan just has primer on the underside. After 1985 the paint is not so good, the chrome is poor, and there is likely to be less protection underneath because it would have been built as a cheap car for the mexican market. The one I bought had low miles and very little winter use. There was a small hole under the battery but that was it. It was rock solid. Find a good one, and its as good as any late german beetle in my experience.
If the interior is minted, then the very low milage could be geniune, and if it is its a bargain buy.