no more dubs?

just follow this link and read. i’m too upset to comment on what this may mean for our beloved machines.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1931892006

I like the bit that any Police cars, Fire engines etc will be exempt. If this goes ahead we should organise a protest. With all makes car clubs involved.

They 'll need to prise my vehicles from my dead hands!!! it does mention that some historic vehicles may be exempt! one things for sure if they remove 90% of the black cabs from the road pollution would drop ten fold!!! But wait no… I forget alot of edinburghs councilers own black cabs!!! It also mentions that the vehicles would be banned from the town centre & not entirely. There’s also the fact that unleaded fuel is full of benzine but they’re not addressing that point are they!!! Typical shite, I can see them trying to push it through, it’s about time people in this country started to stand up for themselves!!! I don’t think it’s just car clubs that would need to make a stand but the average motorist in edinburgh! :axe

Scaremongering by the paper as usual I reckon. Only one part of Edinburgh is getting close to failing UN regs on pollution, the ST John s rd area. In order to reduce pollution they will have to look at various options, one of which will be banning certain types of cars, but I would expect that it would be linked to the peak periods, and historic cars are likely to be exempt. I’ll have a chat with transport colleagues at my work to find out the real story.

Look forward to seeing you on the fourth floor.

Or if you really want to find out the truth, read the writting on the toilet walls!

how about we organise a cruise through edinburgh city centre in our beloved macines and just flick two fingers up to the killjoy monkeys!

That is gonna be weird. They won’t like my 1990 Diesel Camper when this get’s through :o

I reckon that keeping old cars off the scrapheap does more good for the environment…

Checked with a transport colleague, one of the staff who actually writes the council’s transport policy. He knew nothing about it and thought it was scaremongering by the press. He pointed out that the majority of the pollution causing the problems comes from old technology diesel engines fitted to buses and lorries, and that banning cars more than 10 years old would do nothing to sort the problem, given that cars that old form such a low percentage of the overall traffic. Upgrading bus engines in the future is more likely to take place than banning cars.

keith - 2007-01-09 1:01 PM
…scaremongering by the press.

I did suspect as such - tossers! :huh:
However, I don’t read the EEN or Scotsman regularly, and wondered if anyone had noticed any response in the letters pages from legions of Lothians classic car owners? I guess it could be the only positive outcome from the provocation techniques regularly employed by our ever conscientious and accurate media…
:lol:

While we’re on this subject of the sustained abuse of drivers and their vehicles by ‘the system’,
please consider signing this petition :

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/sign

Courtesy of ScotVAG forum post :
“The government’s proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase atracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it. The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a delivery driver.
A non working Mum who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month. On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will know where you are at all times.
They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit in time you can probably expect a Notice of Intended Prosecution with your monthly bill.”

If you care about our freedom and stopping the constant bashing of the motorist, please sign the petition on No 10’s new website (link above) and pass this on to as many people as possible.