Ongoing mods with Eva

Finally got my clutch sorted! :smiley:
It wasn’t lunched cos of those hard launches on the drag strip last year, or even that badly worn out by the previous owner - it was due to a leaking gearbox oil seal where the input shaft goes. This was replaced, and obviously the friction plate was too contaminated for further use so a new Sachs 210mm clutch kit from Euro was purchased and fitted for £75.

Anyway, while the engine was out, it gave me scope to sort some better ‘on the move’ heating as I don’t have heat exchangers (J-pipes being better for the tuned zorst effect!)
What I have is a remote oil cooler that sits adjacent to the gearbox and pre-cools the oil before the filter, thermostat & forced air main cooler do their bit…

If there was a way of getting warm air from it to demist the windscreen I would want to use it obviously.
Luckily a section of plastic bendy hose could be cut at an angle to create a tapered duct which was cable tied into place…

Now how do I pull air through and get it to the front via the original heater pipe…?
A modified twin outlet fan blower from a Type 4 engined van of course!

A piece of old Passat air ducting was the same diameter as the fan intake and allowed me to join it to the bendy hose leading over the gearbox.
One of the blower outlets was cut off and a flat bar welded over the hole, long enough to form a mounting bracket secured by the end of the top shock absorber bolt. This was carefully bent, allowing the remaining outlet to point down towards the central conduit and joined to it it with stock 50mm air hose.
A dashboard switch operates a relay to the blower, and now air gushes through the front outlets better than it ever did with stock heat exchangers! It’s a bit like the booster fan kit you can get from Bluebird that does a great job of improving the warm air flow in a Type 2, only quieter because it’s away at the back near the engine anyway. :thumb:

Won’t it get too hot for those cable ties?
Nice sollution tho.

Now Eva is ready for the BWA Alex… :thumb:

Bob

Mother of invention? :thumb:

The Dutch Bloke - 2008-04-24 8:47 AM
Won’t it get too hot for those cable ties?

Er - hope not Elwin! :rolleyes:
I’m guessing cable ties are good for temperatures up to about 150C but would be unlikely to see heat above 120C with this application.
If they part, I could always replace them with a couple of large jubilee clips, but will just have to see how they last…

Bob B - 2008-04-24 1:55 PM
Now Eva is ready for the BWA Alex… :thumb:

Well, I’d like to think so Bob, but just gonna see how the clutch performs with everyday driving first.
Only trouble with racing this year is - extra deadweight.
It took ages to remove and replace much of the interior at Crail, and even more at Action!
I fitted a heavy duty gel battery behind the speaker box, and though it’s easily removable with a seat belt buckle, went for several heavy duty floor plate brackets to keep the lot secure should the worst happen, ie. frontal smash or rollover - not that there’d be much left of me in that event anyway!
Oh - and a permanently installed Carver Trumatic heater, which at least weighs less than the gas canister that supplies it! (pics soon)…

Nice one Alex,

I like the way you have built up your heater from what you had handy in the garage… measure the thermal out put against the usual set up and if its better we may all be building that little piece of kit ourselves… I like it a lot… :rolleyes: B) :thumb:

Ta Eric! After the Vogrie run, I can confirm there is certainly heat coming from the vents after a few miles.
It may not be as hot as air from heat exchangers, but there’s much more airflow than before and should demist no probs - as long as the intake isn’t sucking up too much road spray from the underside of course… :think

So to heater #2 - a Carver Trumatic gas caravan convection heater :

The 2" hole in the sound insulation floor covering is where the exhaust vent goes straight out through the floorpan…

…and the unit sits atop a built up vented box concealing the air intake…

Here’s where another piece of old Passat came in handy - the hinged metal flap that bridges the gap between the back seats when they’re folded down screwed on neatly to the bed board to provide a cover when in sleep mode :

It is NOT my intention to run the heater when sleeping, though probably safe enough to do so at the lowest setting.
Above the heater is a roof mounted 12V fan which helps circulate the warm air too. This can get the van pretty warm from cold in 5 minutes.
Thanks to Kev (willoughby) for getting me into these things.
I bought mine for £50 on E-bay and have another good working spare if anyone else is interested…? :thumb:

Here’s that heater before installation.
They were designed for caravan floors, so the intake vent protrudes a good 7" below the heater base.

alex,if the cable ties do snap with the heat,you could try using an “earth clamp” from an electrical wholesalers,the normal size is 6" but they make them in larger sizes,very easy to fit,or im sure screwfix have some of the larger version ones

or if you know any heating and vent engineers,they use metal band type clamps to go round ducting which are pretty long but once fitted the excess can be trimmed down

hope this helps

Good point Paul - know the stuff you mean!
Still leaves me wondering at what temperature the average cable tie starts to melt… :think

Probably at the same temp as your bendy plastic hose, so I wouldnt worry about it! :smiley: :thumb:

Kairt - 2008-04-30 1:14 PM
Probably at the same temp as your bendy plastic hose…

Doh! :rolleyes: :thumb:

Nice one Alex. Will need to come and have a nosey. If your around tonight why don’t you stop by. The boss is out tonight but the boys aren’t so can’t get out of the house to come see you. Also got an exhaust for you to give to Mark.

Ta Rob - sorry I couldn’t make Saturday.
Can collect Mark’s exhaust on Wednesday before the Blether if you’re around or it’s handy in the garage?

Gave Eva some new-look eyes as the chrome was looking a bit rusty on the old headlight rims.
Had these Rossi units lying around for years and they polished up a treat. With those new silver look orange bulbs, sorting indicator lights was easy…

looking good alex :beers: :thumb:

How about putting the oil cooler under the dash, will heat your knees up a treat in the winter!

Joking aside, I’ve often toyed with the idea of using the hot oil for this end.

Good point Alan!
Right from the start I’d considered the preliminary oil cooler sitting somewhere inside the van for maximum heat! bowdown.gif
What stopped me was the problem of restricting heat, ie. oil flow, when it was actually getting too hot inside the van - while not encouraging the engine oil to reach silly temperatures.

Summer of 2006 was so hot I was glad I didn’t have any interior heating whatsover, but last week in Cornwall I was grateful for a bit of de-misting from the current warmed-air set-up. Of course, going through a big water splash or two soon led to hefty gusts of steam coming through the vents and a cloth was still essential for clear vision! :rs

On another note, driving back yesterday - best MPG was 27.9 between Newquay and Worcester.
239 miles of mainly A30 dual carriageway & M5 motorway at an average speed of 68 mph.
There were no-throttle freewheels down hills of 75, full-throttle chugs up hills at 55, and I generally sat at 70 on the motorway. The oil temp. never exceeded 112*C.
The leg from Worcester to Lancaster produced 26.8 MPG, but we were stuck in the tailback where the M5 joins the M6 for a good half hour.
Overall, this is pretty good economy for an air-cooled petrol engine pushing a loaded van along at decent speeds! dancinnanagif.gif
I just wished I’d put these original 128 main jets back in the carbs before the Euro run, as the 136 jets I’d left in for that 2400 mile trip robbed me of an average 3 MPG (=£45!) axe.gif

heehaw.gif

Saw these Milenco Aero towing mirrors http://www.milenco.com/mirror-aero.html

at the Scottish Caravan Show last month and thought they had potential as Van mirrors…

Can’t say I’m disappointed! biggrin.gif

By removing the extension arm that enables them to clip onto normal car mirrors, the pivot point fits neatly over the Van mirror stalks.
All I had to do was remove the ‘elephant ear’ mirrors Eva came with and drill a 3mm hole through the stalk for the securing screw.
The originals can be refitted anytime with this minor mod, but these are far superior as they’re stable when driving with a wider field of vision,
more adjustment, much lighter, more aerodynamic and won’t rust or rattle.
I particularly like the fact you can see the entire mirror through both quarter lights, whereas the original options were partly obscured.
Some basic design fault there surely!
Milencos are also available with a convex mirror for an even greater field of vision.
I might experiment with them later this year as £25 a pair on E-bay isn’t too bad for trick new mirrors.
“Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear…” etc.
:rolleyes:

I’d been toying with the idea of reversing and fog lights for some time, but didn’t want to go down the ‘trad’ route of fitting period accessory items -
usually those wee rectangular lights with a bit of chrome round them mounted above the original tail lights.

As I had a few spare rear lenses, I got busy with the hot knife and cut a pair to suit.
The ‘bulbs’ are wee 12V Halogen spots like you’d usually fit in your kitchen.
OK, a purist wouldn’t normally drill two holes in their quarter panel with a 46mm hole cutter, but youse ken me… :rolleyes:

The reversing light shines through a hemispherical front fog light lens (salvaged from a Mondeo) and secured with plenty Araldite.
Switches (with indicator lights) on the dash operate fused relays at the rear.
They’re nice and bright when lit up in the dark anyway!

:thumb:

You’ll be giving mr dyson a run for his money soon with all that imaginative thinking seamonsta! :thumb: