Radio!

Hah! At last, I have overcome my fear of fibreglass and have DRILLED my glovebox insert! Yes, I have. Damn all you folks who can remove an engine singlehandedly, simultaneously changing the oil filter with your pinky, I have USED A DRILL! On fibreglass! I shall now sit back and wait for the praise to roll in. No, I haven’t cut the radio slot out, I’m working on that as we speak. I tried a hacksaw bit and found it a little too flimsy, but I found a metal and fibreglass bit for my jigsaw and am using that instead.
Next shall come the flocking kit (thanks for the idea Jamie) which arrived yesterday and looks like huge fun (and mess) to do. The only disappointment is that you “puff” the flock onto the adhesive with a puffy bottle, rather than actually huffing and puffing like the Big Bad Wolf. Shame… I’m tempted to try blowing it anyway, but my recently abated fear of “Black Lung From Fibreglass Shrapnel” (yeah, I’m wearing a mask… and a hazard suit) could transfer to “Lung Cancer By Flocking” so I’m playing it safe.
What? What’s that I hear you say? Electrics? Shut up.
Oh, I’ve also started the car maintenance course at Stevenson College, which was going to be Classic Car Tune-Up but got cancelled due to lack of interest, so I got shunted onto… gag… Motor Make-Over (car maintenance for women)… which I only agreed to do on the condition that the tools weren’t pink… which has now morphed into a general car maintenance course with boys and girls. It’s okay, a lot of emphasis on modern cars but they do have a beetle engine (1600?) out in the workshop and I have now seen a thermostat apparatus. The instructor told me (possibly jokingly) to just nick it and I’m sorely tempted. I did acquire a fan housing but having looked at the actual thing, I don’t think it’s what I want. So I have now acquired my first unneeded beetle part to hoarde. I am truly doomed…

Right. I’ve come across a bit of an obstacle. Radio slot is out (thank you, thank you) and so I merrily skipped off to the car to measure up the holes for the hood opening mechanism. Well. Does anyone know how the heck you remove said hood mechanism? There’s a single screw that attaches the whole apparatus to the body of the car but then there’s some godforsaken kind of bolt that connects the inside part of the mechanism to the outside part, and the outside part is connected to the wire that runs down to the hood latch. Fine. The problem is, I can’t get the bolt loosened - the end is oval and almost flush with the mechanism, and has no slot for a screwdriver. I’ve made one tentative attempt with a set of pliers to no effect. See photos attached…
Any ideas?

Someone at the Samba has suggested this:
Use a drill bit slightly larger than the center of the rivet’s flush side and drill the center. In seconds the rivet head will come off allowing you to push the rest out. You’ll have to break up the old box to do this as you’ll need to get straight at it.

1. Any thoughts and
  2. How do I get the clip for the hood release cable off? I’m going to try poking it with various sizes of alan keys…

I hate you all. “It’ll be so easy” my arse. I now have the latch mechanism off the glovebox but still can’t seperate the two halves, I’ve tried the drilling suggestion from Samba but have succeeded in doing nothing but making a funny smell in the kitchen and almost taking my fingers off. I’ve even, in desperation, looked on VW Heritage but of course they don’t sell the latch bit and it’s the wrong way around on all the US sites… luckily they do sell the clip for the hood release cable as I may have… ahem… been a tad forceful in my approach.
I’m also not that sure that once I get the thing apart it’ll go back together all that easily. I think I need help…

if you have drilled the 2 poprivits then separated cable from mechanism you just drill large hole in new glovebox and fit as complete unit then drill 2 small holes for mounting and refit poprivits

It’s not the two rivets that secure the mechanism to the glovebox that I’m struggling with (although I may struggle with them shortly, haven’t tried them yet), it’s seperating the inner half of the mechanism (the handle mounted on the triangular plate that attaches to the inside of the glovebox) from the outer half (the arm that attaches to the cable). I can’t seem to detach the two parts - I don’t think it’s a bolt or anything that threads, as there’s no suggestion of any give, and the two parts are fixed at a 45 degree angle. Both ends of the connecting bit (bolt, rivet, god knows) are smooth, oval and almost flush… the part is available from US websites but LHD mounted, I’ve already asked if it can be mounted RHD - I’m guessing it can as there are two grooves on the mounting plate… Wait wait wait… am I just supposed to drill a hole big enough to slip the arm through? Brb…

Yes… so… the hours of angst I spent yesterday trying to work out how to seperate the two halves of the mechanism… when all along I could have just noticed the fact that there was a big hole in the original glovebox… so. Yes, you drill a hole big enough to slip the arm through. Fifteen minutes crawling about under the bonnet and one paper template later, there is a big hole, three little holes and now all I have to do is do my flocking.

Oh yeah, and install the radio…

And I’ve just noticed that’s EXACTLY what Kampervan told me to do.

Flocking successful and, if I may say so, looks extremely nice. And covers over the dents I made in the fibreglass while drilling. Having actually read (rather than scanned in desperation, failing to process anything) Kampervan’s post (thank you), do you think I need to refit rivets to secure the mechanism to the glovebox or would shallow bolts and nuts do? Will I be mocked and hounded mercilessly from the Flotterstone if I take the easy route? How the heck do you fit rivets anyway?

(http://photobucket.com/) (http://photobucket.com/) But more importantly, lets see some flocking pictures!!! :smiley:

bolts will do but they have to be short or they foul the mechanism

Well, I checked the flocking this morning and it seems to have caught a bad case of mange overnight, so I’ll be doing a second coat this afternoon and will post a photo then. I’m also going to have a decent amount of flock left over (easily enough for another glovebox or something similar) so if anyone wants some “Nightingale” coloured flock (dark brown) let me know.
Rivets would obviously look more authentic but I’m not in the position to spend £20+ on a rivet kit that I may never use again… if anyone HAS a rivet kit and wants to volunteer it for the application of two (2) teensy weensy little rivets, that would be fab but otherwise I’m going down the nut and bolt option. If anyone hears screams of frustration coming from the doohicky aisle of B&Q, it’s just me.
I’m obviously also going to need to replace/jig the metal strap that holds the glovebox in place… I saw a post on Samba by a guy who simply used a longer bolt and I’ll give that a try, but if it doesn’t work does anyone have a suggestion as to what to use instead? Heavy duty plastic?

Tah-DAH!!! One spiffy flocked glove box, sitting in a sea of nylon fuzz… it’s really quite fun, you should try some! You can flock anything. ANYTHING. Or so the website says.

(Yes, it’s upside down.)

Bugger bugger bugger bugger!
The flocking is done, the hood release doohicky has been refitted (skinny nuts and a hacksaw as I couldn’t find any bolts the right length), the stereo cage is in place, I was almost brave enough to start thinking about possibly contemplating the electrical side of things when the connector for the hood release cable snapped as I tried to reattach it. Yes, a quick visit to VW Heritage has sorted that out (I think I have to replace the whole cable, which thankfully looks like a simple job) but now I have to WAIT. I am filled with hatred. I can’t even fit the glovebox (which looks so damn good) since I need to access the arm.
By the way, is a beetle chassis negative?

yes neg earth

Whew. I finally got around to actually reading the instructions for the radio and the very first thing I saw was a warning about not installing it in Audis and VWs without making sure the car has a negative chassis. Heh heh… oops. You know, if I ever get this thing working it’s going to be in SPITE of my best efforts.

This is a great thread. Your doing very well, and discovering the truth that a job usually ends up being more involved than originally expected(that happened to me on saturday when I told the wife that painting all my repair panels would only take an hour, 3 hours later I ran out of paint and I still hadn’t finished! All welding complete now however.), but improvising a solution is the way forward and once the job is done satisfaction levels will be very high, feel free to be smug, with the thought that you now understand how the mechanism works better than anyone else!

keith - 2006-09-24 10:15 AM
Your doing very well…!

I can only echo Keith’s sentiments of support, coming as they do from a man who is almost obsessive about getting the details right and having a high tolerance level of VW’s fiddlier stock parts. :slight_smile:
If it had been me enduring your hassle, I’d have done away with the bloody bonnet release cable altogether for something more homespun and robust, or er, absent altogether! That’s the beauty of customising - thinking outside the box when a piece of low cost factory mass produced cack malfunctions and following the path of logic to the nirvana of self fabrication… or summat… :lol:

seamonsta - 2006-09-24 6:26 PM

[QUOTE]keith - 2006-09-24 10:15 AM
Your doing very well…!

I can only echo Keith’s sentiments of support, coming as they do from a man who is almost obsessive about getting the details right and having a high tolerance level of VW’s fiddlier stock parts. :slight_smile:
If it had been me enduring your hassle, I’d have done away with the bloody bonnet release cable altogether for something more homespun and robust, or er, absent altogether! That’s the beauty of customising - thinking outside the box when a piece of low cost factory mass produced cack malfunctions and following the path of logic to the nirvana of self fabrication… or summat… :lol:[/QUOTE]
Alternatively known as a botch!!

:lol: Heh Heh! Oh you do crack me up Keith man… :slight_smile: