rear spare wheel bracket

Hi,

Does anyone have (or a link to) any sketches/plans for a rear wheel mounting bracket for a bay window camper?

Mat

Mat,

Can’ you just put your Bull bar on the back. I know us Aussies can be a little backward…but

:rs

I hate to say it Simon but the roo bars are definately comming off :frowning: . I reckon the van will look quite smart with a nice white VW badge and maybe a couple of retro spot lights up front, just not sure what to do with the spare wheel. Sam at PFP advised against fitting it to the front on a bracket as it can do all sorts of damage to the front panel if you happen to nudge it. I was thinking of fitting the spare under the van on some sort of cradle but this would involve rerouting the heater pipes. I saw Alans Devon Moonraker at Biggar and I like the rear bracket he has on his.

Mat

If I remember correctly Bluebird does these rear spare wheel brackets.

Drew is right

http://www.bluebird-type2.co.uk/

yours for £76.

I’ve said this somewhere before but I’ll repeat it here:
Volkswagen never approved the spare wheel carriers that mounted to the front panel because it compromised the otherwise excellent crush zone of the VW type 2. Westfalia did have a front mounted spare wheel but this involved an extended (by some 2 foot) bumper with the spare wheel mounted low down (sorry I can’t seem to find a piccy of this, maybe someone else can). With the front wheel mounted high on the front panel, if you front end it, the chances of the forces being transferred to the interior are much, much higher. Thus Volkswagen’s understandable dissapproval.
Westfalia produced their Campers (Campmobiles) which had Volkswagens approval and were sold on the world market frequently through the Volkswagen dealer. No other converter enjoyed such a priviledged relationship.
In the UK, in the 70’s, I think Devon were the only UK converter to have Volkswagen approval. Part of this involved either keeping the spare wheel in its original position inside at the rear (taking up space) or Devon’s solution to mount the wheel on the rear bumper.
It makes access to the engine slightly less easy, but I’m happy to live with that.
If you mount your wheel on the rear and then want a bike rack, the 4X4 ones that take into account the tailgate mounted spare seem to work well.
Mines a Pendle.
http://messageboard.lvwc.co.uk/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=35

thanks for the info Alan,

I think I’m going to try and make a Devon style spare wheel bracket. The only thing that puts me off the Devon type is the antiluce catches that fix the top of the bracket to the body of the van. Although this is probably the most secure way of fixing the bracket in place, as it is then held top and bottom. I just don’t know if I can bring myself to start drilling holes in the bodywork!

If you look at the bracket that Bluebird sell it is held in the upright position by two spring bolts at the bottom of the bracket. This would save drilling into the bodywork but I’m not so sure how sturdy this would be. I can imagine the bracket may vibrate alot.

Engineers hat on, got to be the antiluce catches.

Mat

You could always just leave the spare in the garage and get your tyres filled with some of that goop that plugs the leak as soon as it happens. If your think about the you are going to be running a set of tyres for years as they don’t really wear like a sports or even a normal passenger car. That’s what I’m going to do.

The Tyre sealant route is a good idea. I’ll be using it in my van…

Did I mention that we are the Scottish Dealers of protex…

http://protex.uk.net

Cheers,

Rob :smiley:

Does that mean club members get a discount then? (guess I’ll have to get my membbership fee away).

I could arrange that if we had some interested parties.

Roll up roll up…

Rob

Might be a good thing for Simon before he goes a-eurotrundling?

slobbo - 2005-06-26 11:22 PM

You could always just leave the spare in the garage and get your tyres filled with some of that goop that plugs the leak as soon as it happens. If your think about the you are going to be running a set of tyres for years as they don’t really wear like a sports or even a normal passenger car. That’s what I’m going to do.

Talked wi Rob about this today, while contemplating turning my bulkhead model Split into a walk-through, and thereby sacrificing the spare wheel recess.
However, what does ‘the Law’ say about carrying spare wheels? Are they still a necessary requirement?

I also carry a Brittannia rescue Card. :smiley:

As far as the law is concerned, the spare tyre must be in good condition if it’s carried you don’t actually need to carry one though.

:slight_smile: Just as I was :think

True, a spare wheel is not a legal requirement, although it definitely makes sense. My car came with the choice of a spare wheel or, to save space, their “TireFit” tyre sealant option. TireFit is only as temporary as a space-saver wheel but it means you can have a fair sized CD changer and amp in the wheel well. :smiley:

Depends thoug eh, most of the bugs I see are running different sizes front n rear so it kinda defeats the perpose of a spare, as for the tireweld stuff as you rightly say Ni it’s a temp measure that should only really be used as a get home device.

But more to the point Ferraris & the like don’t carry a spare so if it’s good enough for them then I’m damn sure it’s good enough for my ickle bug

Bob B - 2005-06-27 1:06 PM

I could arrange that if we had some interested parties.

Roll up roll up…

Rob

I’m certainly interested in this as the Leith dock roads are a minefield of puncture opportunities!
However, can you give an estimate as to what the Protex treatment for four tyres normally costs please Bob?

I’d like a cost as well. One tyre in for repair today (valve stem though not a puncture) and another to go in when that ones done.

Sorry for the delay, been on hols and moving house.

We charge £79.00 to Protex four wheels on a typical car, Mondeo size, but the cost and amount of fluid is calculated depending on the tyre size, profile etc. Protex instantly and permanantly seals a hole in the treaded area (not side wall) and will seal nail and screw holes once the foreign body has been removed. You never know that you have had a puncture unless you have to pull the nail out…!!

Not a lot to pay compared to the cost of new tyres which are destroyed by running flat (including run flats), inconvenience etc…

If we have a few takers we could have a Protex Day out…

Cheers,

Rob