Resto Update

Picked up the long block from Laurie today. As usual he had done a great job. When I strarted the project I had no intention of rebuilding the engine but I’m glad I did. You never know what you’ve got until you go digging. The pistons, for some reason, had been machined to reduce the compression, its not as if its high to begin with. The other main problem was the stock cam, one lobe was knackered. Why? who knows. Taken together, these problems must have seriously reduced the performance of an otherwise stock motor. ON the plus side, the crank and case are in great nick and didn’t need machined. The main plus is I now know what I/ve got. If your looking to rebuild your motor, Cant recommend Laurie enough.

Hi Keith have you got the engine fitted and fired up then? It is amazing the surprises you find when unwrapping an engine, the good thing with Laurie is he has loads of second hand spares to replace worn or dodgy originals for little cost. Good effort Keith look forward to seeing the bug on the road in the summer.

jeansbug - 7/12/2009 4:51 PM

Hi Keith have you got the engine fitted and fired up then? It is amazing the surprises you find when unwrapping an engine, the good thing with Laurie is he has loads of second hand spares to replace worn or dodgy originals for little cost. Good effort Keith look forward to seeing the bug on the road in the summer.

Fitted a few parts but no rush. Not putting on road until the spring anyway. Need some new tinware screws before I go any further.

On the off chance that some of you are interested I fitted the engine last week with the help of Kenny, cheers mate. Due to a number of minor problems, in particular a starter that jammed on, we couldn’t get it started. However, I managed to fire it up at the weekend and do a rough carb set up. Thats the first time its ran since 2002! I’m on target to MOT in March and have it ready for the first cruise in April; Happy days.

Would that be in time for the So-Caley Swap Meet as well? biggrin.gif
Good to hear it started in the end

Pictures Keith???

Bob B - 1/2/2010 8:42 PM

Pictures Keith???

(Photo Storage)
Best I can do for now.

Nice! I like the tail pipes

That’s a nice clean but, not over done looking engine you’ve got there. You must be chuffed to get it running after so long? I’m hoping to fire up one of my mini’s engines this week, it’s not run for a similar period. I’m looking forward to it!!

looking good

Scott - 7/2/2010 9:07 PM

That’s a nice clean but, not over done looking engine you’ve got there. You must be chuffed to get it running after so long? I’m hoping to fire up one of my mini’s engines this week, it’s not run for a similar period. I’m looking forward to it!!

Cant beat the look of gloss black tinware I reckon. Trying to make it look stock but period tuned.

For anyone who has noticed, I am going to run a stock late beetle distributer with vacuum and certifugal advance this time, to see if it works better than the 009.

I did wonder…

keith - 10/2/2010 12:47 PM

For anyone who has noticed, I am going to run a stock late beetle distributer with vacuum and certifugal advance this time, to see if it works better than the 009.

Noticed that, did also wonder about the gasket sitting on the tinware? Hope it’s an extra. Totaly agree, if I wass fitting an aircooled lump, I’d be blacking it all too B)

I bought the car off Nick Brown, but before that a guy called Peter owned it. He got in touch recently to e mail me some photos of how it used to look like. Handy as I have none before I tore it apart.
(http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/Keekster67/1300a/?action=view¤t=mvc-036f.jpg)

(http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/Keekster67/1300a/?action=view¤t=InvalidBlue_1280.jpg)
(http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/Keekster67/1300a/?action=view¤t=autotest2.jpg)

I still have that bottom picture or one very like it as my desktop… Autotesting fun courtesy of Mr Bunch!
I liked that car a lot.

I have more old pics of it Keith, can email them if you like?

Nick - 14/2/2010 1:16 AM

I still have that bottom picture or one very like it as my desktop… Autotesting fun courtesy of Mr Bunch!
I liked that car a lot.

I have more old pics of it Keith, can email them if you like?

That would be great Nick. Let me know if you want my e mail address. I like the car a whole bunch more since I made my mark on it!

Getting there, major progress today, tow bar fitted and front suspension all set up. Now the main problem is getting the engine to run properly. Kenny has offered to help me out thankfully.

(http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/Keekster67/1300a/?action=view¤t=S4200062.jpg)

Looks great Keith. Love the material and half leather.

keith - 2/3/2010 8:40 PM

Getting there, major progress today, tow bar fitted and front suspension all set up. Now the main problem is getting the engine to run properly. Kenny has offered to help me out thankfully.
(Photo Storage)

What did I tell you about messing with that engine? Ran fine before you got your grubby mitts on it :lol:

Looks good apart from that :rasp