Seats for a Beetle

Hi all,
I’d like to replace the standard front seats in my 1970 1300 Beetle with something a bit more comfortable and safer. My head normally goes over the top of train or plane seats, so I’m thinking towards adjustable headrests rather than single piece buckets. They need to be light weight and simple, no heating or motor adjustment, and possible to get hold of in good condition at a reasonable price. Any advice would be most welcome!

Hi Geoff
A lot of people go with Porsche tombstone seats but they are fixed headrest. I’ve seen a few folk using mx5 seats recently, and Newton Commercial do a nice seat for a beetle but there not cheap.

Hope this helps!

I fitted mx5 leather seats in my bug.

1 Like

Hi Keith. Those MX-5 seats look really smart. The backs also look good and high. I’m changing my view on separate headrests! Can I ask how you got them and what was involved to fit them into the Beetle? Can see a lot of MX5 seats on Ebay but there’s a number of model eras. Also wondering if a particular model would fit the Beetle best.

I’m not sure what year of mx5 they are from but I wanted the tombstone type. I have the later three point seat floor pan. I welded a bracket into the front hump, and cut the rear legs off an original beetle seat after I had welded on cross braces. I have some other photos I’ll post.

Cheers Jigs. Am looking at Porsche and MX5 seats. Also thought about A2 seats. The Newton seats look great, but definitely out of my price range!

No idea why it’s posting photos of beetles!

@keith sorted pics :+1: