So who's running NON VW engines then?

As the title says…

I’m hoping to start on my’64 beetle very soon (I need to get a mini back on wheels and painted first, shouldn’t be more than a month hopefully).

I’ve been looking into the sort of power I’d like, the cost, the drivability, etc and I’m sloping towards something japanese in the back…I figure for the cost of fitting up, the MPG I’ll get from a powerful engine, the fact it’ll idle without trying to shake the fillaments out the bulbs etc means doing an engine conversion seriously viable.

I’m not shy about engineering, welding, etc and will be doing the work myself, I’ve changed engines between marques before so not phased by having to ‘find the solution’. I’m looking to see if anyone else is running a water cooled bug (or a jap engined camper) that I can have a bit of a nose round to get the idea clearer in my head.

Oh, and I’ll post up pics as I do mine incase anyone else is interested B)

Scott - 15/2/2010 8:08 PM

As the title says…

I’m hoping to start on my’64 beetle very soon (I need to get a mini back on wheels and painted first, shouldn’t be more than a month hopefully).

I’ve been looking into the sort of power I’d like, the cost, the drivability, etc and I’m sloping towards something japanese in the back…I figure for the cost of fitting up, the MPG I’ll get from a powerful engine, the fact it’ll idle without trying to shake the fillaments out the bulbs etc means doing an engine conversion seriously viable.

I’m not shy about engineering, welding, etc and will be doing the work myself, I’ve changed engines between marques before so not phased by having to ‘find the solution’. I’m looking to see if anyone else is running a water cooled bug (or a jap engined camper) that I can have a bit of a nose round to get the idea clearer in my head.

Oh, and I’ll post up pics as I do mine incase anyone else is interested B)

Entering contraversial territory with engine conversions in a bug. Main problem with a beetle is lack of space in the engine bay for alternatives and cutting back the body work to make one fit can result in unpleasant lumps/worts on the bodywork. A waterboxer engine can fit without much bother but you still need to fit a radiator somewhere and fitting a grill to the front of a 64 is a definite no no. Camper vans are more likely to have conversions simply because there is more space to play with. I’m quite happy with my 1776 bug engine, more than enough power for a car that weighs less than 900kgs and idles nice and smoothly. If you fit a skooby engine bear in mind the stock gearbox will not last long, and you could end up spending a big chunk of cash on an uprated box, plus your conversion plate to mount it to the box, plumbing arrangements etc. You may end up spending the same as you would getting Laurie Petit to build you a 1776 or 1994 bug engine and bolting it straight to your standand gearbox. Take in a ride in Daveys car sometime to give you an idea of what a hot beetle engine is like, I doubt you will be disaapointed…

Thanks for the reply Keith. I’ve been considering all the ‘space’ issues. I’m definatly NOT wanting it to look like a water cooled car, so no bonnet venting, etc I’m even against the idea of using a duct under the bumper to a front mounted rad. I’m planning utilising a few smaller radiators (possibly something curved like motorbike radiators) positioned either in the arches or elsewhere where I figure there will be airflow (which I can duct up from underneath) and if required an aditional electric coolant pump.

I’ve looked into fitting an 091 box but, have also stumbled upon someone selling reversed gears for the Impreza box. They state it can all be fitted under a deck lid with no cutting of the torsion tubes if you’re happy with only 2wd, which I will be. My ‘family’ car is an Impreza Sport Wagon so I’m familiar with the engine and have had the box out it. I’ve also got a spare box lying in my garage which I’ll use to see how it looks for space using it. The cost of using the Impreza box seems a lot less than purchasing an 091 and beefing it up, or getting a bug box built to suit.

I fully understand what you’re saying about keeping it aircooled but, I also like the idea of doing something different as an engineering project for myself. I work on cars all day and the thought of doing something requiring effort figuring things out really appeals. Even more so as I don’t want it to look like frankensteins engine bay :lol:

You can always do something like this, might have the odd wort.
http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20426

Mental

That’s way more cutting than I’m prepared to do to the car.

I still want it to look like an aircooled bug, sure people in the know will be able to tell. However I want the majority of people to see it as just another shiny bug.

Loads of stuff here: http://www.vwkd.co.uk/bb/

also worth a look http://www.shoptalkforums.com/

DO IT!!! You know it would be good.

My mates got an import 92 impreza. Nothing done, as standard except adjustable tein suspension. When your finished with yours, you can start on mine!! I would love to see the look on my mates face!! (as i plough into a wall?!)…

Thanks for the links Stu, I’ve seen those sites there’s some great stuff on them.

Gonzo, I’ve every intention of doing it :smiley: Convince your mate to bin his, then get him to keep it on salvage retention for you to have the parts from :lol:

may be worth a look
http://www.cal-look.com/forum/index.php?topic=32017.0

I saw those and drooled a little. This is the route I’m hoping to take, just don’t tell Mrs Scott :smiley:

Thanks for the link.

I’m getting closer to making a start. The mini that’s taking up the bug’s space will go onto wheels this thurs eve and then the paint prep can commence… Just glad I’ve got a log burner in my workshop at home :smiley:

Youre my hero!! Youre gonna have to get some serious suspension mods no? Cornering would be frightenin!! Maybe just have to power slide everywhere, not a bad thing!

The suspension will get beffed up as a matter of course. I know the Subaru engine and box will weigh more than the VW set up but, won’t know exactly how much by until I have the new engine etc. I’m considering I may need to use coil overs at the rear to help, will wait see once the engine and box are mounted up… Fortunatly Mrs Scott has decided to go visit her parents (down south) for a fortnight this summer with our toddler, so I’m hoping to buy a donor Subaru for while she’s away, have it stripped and gone before she’s back. Got to be easier than trying to stop my little girl trying to ‘help daddy’.

The mini was back on wheels last week and I intend to get it running this eve, then it’s paint prep… I’m itching to get started on the Bug :slight_smile:

I have a 2.0t 94 Subaru in my bus; you would be amazed how light these engines are. A friend and I can pick it up with easy together and we are hardly bodybuilders. Ensure you support the engine with a beam of some sort or you will go through gearboxes like stink, once in unless you have adjustable irs system you will need a lower sump for clearance. With adjustable IRS I have 7" of space even with the standard sump now with the lowered sump I have fitted a new equal exhaust manifold to cut the engine noise a little and still have plenty of clearance.

Cheers, I’m intending making my own shallower sump which still holds the same capacity of oil. You can get a sump from Hadrians (who make panels, etc) for £38 so it’s no biggie to make one while leaving the factory one on. Plus they’re glued on as I’m sure you’re aware, it’s easy to bend them when removing.

I’m hoping to fabricate something to support the engine, I’m also intending using the Subaru box as it seems a cheaper option than putting together a VW box to cope with the power.

Need to get a look at your bus sometime…

Yeah my VW gearbox is still the largest cost on my bus but man what a box. Remember with a lower sump you will need a lower oil pick up as well, I just moded my original one should be fine. Best thing to remember is the engine mounts will now be fitted upside down and closest to the flywheel, this means they have to be moded and fitted before the sump is fitted as they won’t turn due to clearance when the sump is in place. Just starting to fabricate my engine suport now will have some pics of what I made up in a few weeks on my site.
You fancy a look at the bus I’m off all this week drop me an email and happy for you to have a look.

Hope to get a nosey when I do your exhaust :slight_smile: