Some '77 Bay Questions

Hi - this is my first post on here as I’m relatively new to the VW world so I’m hoping you guys can help me with some questions. I bought a '77 Bay (Riviera) in Seattle, USA last year and spent 3 months travelling coast to coast so of course I fell in love with Sonny (as he is now named!) and had to get him transported home. Got a full brake job done and other bits and bobs needed to get it through an MOT which is all now cool. Just got some other questions:

1. the electric hook up is set up for the USA - can I simply use a USA to UK adaptor with my USA power lead when I hook it up or do I need to get the electrics converted?

2. there is an original fridge but the wiring at the door is severed - where can I get this fixed? the fridge apparently works from electric or gas - which is of course a mystery to me how that happens!! Any shedding of light on said matter gratefully received!

3. some lovely young chaps decided to throw a boulder from height into the luggage compartment above the cab and thus denting/cracking the fibre glass - any idea where I can get this repaired?

Sorry for all the questions - really hoping to join the club at some point and bring Sonny along to a meeting one night.

Cheers
Julie

1. the electric hook up is set up for the USA - can I simply use a USA to UK adaptor with my USA power lead when I hook it up or do I need to get the electrics converted?

2. there is an original fridge but the wiring at the door is severed - where can I get this fixed? the fridge apparently works from electric or gas - which is of course a mystery to me how that happens!! Any shedding of light on said matter gratefully received!

3. some lovely young chaps decided to throw a boulder from height into the luggage compartment above the cab and thus denting/cracking the fibre glass - any idea where I can get this repaired?

1. NO! you’ll need to convert the electrics to UK 240V. USA has 110V, so we have twice as much power, tell that to Bush!
    It will be safer and more convenient anyway. Most of the big supermarkets do kettles, toasters etc. at about £6 and microwaves, heaters at about £25. Don’t get too hung up on mains electricity, sometimes it nice to go to woods and be self sufficient.

2. Gas/12v fridge -
    a. it works on gas, and
    b. it works on 12v.
    when you wire up the 12v, it must go through a relay thats only on when the engines running, it takes about 10 amps and will flatten your battery in no time if the alternator is not recharging it

3. Do get this repaired before loads of water gets in and causes rust. Any bodyshop should be able to do it, or DIY will work if your are up
    for it.

See you soon Sonny.

Don’t get stuck, just ask more questions

Thanks very much Alan. How do I go about getting the electrics converted and any idea how much it costs?

Julie

Hi Julie,

My van is a south african import and to sort out the electrical hook up I replaced it with a kit from Just Kampers. From memory it cost about £80 to buy and came with a new external hook up, a trip fuse box and two internal plug sockets. Also came with all the cables required. I fitted it myself but any auto electrician would be able to do the same.

Look at this link,

http://217.29.195.146/FMPro?-db=wproducts.fp5&-format=detail.htm&-lay=cgi&-sortfield=name&-sortorder=descend&Find_Web=T2&Megasearch=hook%20up&-max=10&-recid=34220&-token.0=13599460&-find=

Have fun,

Bob

Nooo don’t waste £80. You need a RCD Socket from B&Q for about £25. You should be able to use the old hook-up socket just change the end of a UK hook-up lead to a US plug end. Happy to give you a hand at some point. You basically change the US socket for the RCD socket. This is assuming your existing setup doesn’t have a ZIG unit. Give me a bell and I’ll talk you through it. 07989 163 138