Supercharger

Hi. Has anyone got experience of fitting a supercharger to a Ghia/Beetle? Thanks, Alan.

Pretty sure Stephen Risi’s Ghia was either originally supercharged or had been at one point. Worth a discussion.

Do you have a super charger to fit ?

No! Wish I did. Thanks for contact re Stephen.

i’ve looked into supercharging my bug or a spare engine anyway for fitting in later, it seems to be simple depending on what way you charge it ie carb before the charger or pressurising the carb like if you turbo’d a carb engine. judson did the former along long time ago and i always wanted that charger in my bug not for the speed but for the lower band power. nice to see someone else is looking into it too.

I fitted a Judson supercharger many years ago to a friends early Ghia.If I remember correctly I only had to change one jet, (air correction) The Karmann Ghia was a 1200 and once fitted and tuned was like driving a 1600, quite a difference .A Judson will cost you an arm and a leg to buy ,you might consider a turbo and if you can fabricate your own exhaust then you can do the convertion quite cheap.

You would need a down draft carb, something like an SU if I’m not mistaken George :think I’ve been thinking of putting a turbo on the bug, plenty of them in u pull, but probably fit a type 4 engine eventually and turbo heehaw.gif