Top Gear

Anyone watch Top Gear this week, and their trip across Africa. It was amazing he cars kept going, but I was more impressed by the fact that the back up car was a beetle driven by their mechanic, and that it never broke down! I kept hoping Clacksons car would break down so he was forced to use it :smiley:

i thought they were a bit cheeky about the poor old beetle

they were but they did concede that the only one to finish in one piece and unmolested was the bug

http://messageboard.lvwc.co.uk/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3287&posts=3

Bob B - 2007-11-05 5:01 PM

For those who didn’t see top gear last night, the three intrepid presenters chose three cars and drove them across part of Africa.

Oh, and if their car didn’t make it the penalty was having their own car replaced by a 70’s VW Beetle as punishment. :axe

The good news was that although all the cars made it Clarkson ended up by saying “So if you need to get across Africa, forget 4x4’s and the three cars we had, and get a beetle…” :smiley:

Bob

[b]

seamonsta - 2007-11-05 6:26 PM

One of the better Top Gears - if only to hear Clarkson begrudginly say that!!
:lol:

[/b]

no way clackson got that lancia started when they left him in the salt lake,it was a gonner,loved the bit when they had to shed some weight B) :smiley: and the hamster just adjusting the 1/4 window in the dust :lol:

mark - 2007-11-05 10:42 PM

…no way clackson got that lancia started when they left him in the salt lake, it was a gonner… :lol:

Gotta agree - the big numpty cheats like hell I bet! :rolleyes:
A Beetle got him to the border and he knows it! :lol:

“If, people of Surrey, you want to replace your BMW X5 with something that’s brilliant off-road, simple, inexpensive, easy to maintain and surprisingly comfortable, then you’ve got to get yourself a Volkswagen Beetle!”

Classic!!

the man is arrogant and he wont admit that the beetle is a clear winner lol

ashleigh :axe
dont like the man at all

According to an article I just read Hammond is shipping “Oliver” back to the UK regardless of cost, cause he felt he’d “bonded” with it. :lol:
The mechanic in the bug abviously kept jump starting Clarksons car all the time.

Not surprised he bonded with it.
Here’s a pic from the Hammond family album c.1976 which might explain his affection for early Opels and 911 s…

i have to admit it had me in stitches! best one for a while!!

what about the challenge where they had to sail the Channel in a car???

The Hamster did it in a T25 with a fibreglass boat stuck to the bottom…looked real COOL and it worked realy well … :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :lol:

Finally saw the show. Cool stuff and I like the Opel

Loved the Hamsters Dampervan mark 2 (first one sank very quickly!) shame
but can’t help thinking Top Gear is not as good as it was.
Can’t stand Jeremy up himself Clarkson
Captain Slow/ James May is a bit of a twit sometimes
but worse - the Hampster is going all girly with his highly stylised hair do!!! think that crash went to his head!!
Personaly I think the Beetle won the african race - end of - :beers:
& Clarkson is a total prat :axe

Well the thing is, they didn’t want to do another series of Top Gear, but the BBC insisted. I think they just don’t care now and come up with the most stupidest of things, which I love by the way :slight_smile: :smiley:

Yup - It is mainly daft car-related entertainment these days, but still highly watchable!
I don’t know what filling the interior of three old British Leyland wrecks with water has to do with any kind of valid test, but I’d rather watch silly stuff like that than Klaxon repeatedly ‘getting the tail out’ in some irrelevant expensive supercar… :rolleyes:
Also, to see three well-paid motoring journalists act like total numpties when it comes to mechanical knowledge is becoming ever more insulting to proper car enthusiasts! :huh:

klaxons door coming off was soo funny :smiley:

beano - 2007-11-28 1:00 AM

Loved the Hamsters Dampervan mark 2 (first one sank very quickly!) shame
but can’t help thinking Top Gear is not as good as it was.
Can’t stand Jeremy up himself Clarkson
Captain Slow/ James May is a bit of a twit sometimes
but worse - the Hampster is going all girly with his highly stylised hair do!!! think that crash went to his head!!
Personaly I think the Beetle won the african race - end of - :beers:
& Clarkson is a total prat :axe

haha I must be weird as I watch it for the cars :rolleyes:

They are re showing shows from previous seris on the ‘Dave’ channel or you can pick & chose from Virgin’s 119 &120 channel’s & watch all the old favourites like the people carrier ‘soft top’ in the safari park & the gaffer taped up door off episode. Clarkson’s bish bash bosh approach to cutting tools is scareeey but very funny, while Captain Slow counts his screwdrivers & the Hampster bitches about both of them - told you he was going girly! :lol:
Still like the programme but it’s deff gone off the boil & I’ll never get to own a supercar, so Ill just have to content myself knowing i’d never be able to get it out of an indoor car park in Paris!! so on that bombshell… :smiley: B)