Wanted: 34 Pict Carb for 1600 TP

I need a carb that doesn’t leak petrol for my 1600 TP Beetle looking for 34 Pict 3 or 34 Pict 4. I have now had two of the new Kafer Carbs supposed to be best quality but both leaked fuel through the accelarator bushes so now looking for SH cash waiting!
Thanks
Simon
Simon@hanloncole.freeserve.co.uk

think i’ve a spare one!!! gives a call tomorrow and i’ll have a butchers!!!

Martyn
077175 83559

greasegod - 2006-09-19 8:32 PM

I need a carb that doesn’t leak petrol for my 1600 TP Beetle looking for 34 Pict 3 or 34 Pict 4. I have now had two of the new Kafer Carbs supposed to be best quality but both leaked fuel through the accelarator bushes so now looking for SH cash waiting!
Thanks
Simon
Simon@hanloncole.freeserve.co.uk

Not good to hear as I bought one. Exactly where does it leak, and is thegerman made one?

They are shit i returned two, if they don’t leak now they will in a few months with a bit of wear. They leak from the throttle spindle can be both sides, after i had been on a run then go back to the car 5 to 10 mins later you might find weeping fuel from the spindle bushes, if you do send the carb straight back, it can only take one drip on a hot maifold to set your Bug on fire. Not to mention the smell of fuel in the engine bay
Simon

It’s gods way of telling you to fit a proper set of twin carbs :lol: Think I have one though & I don’t recall it ever leaking

greasegod - 2006-10-01 10:47 AM

They are shit i returned two, if they don’t leak now they will in a few months with a bit of wear. They leak from the throttle spindle can be both sides, after i had been on a run then go back to the car 5 to 10 mins later you might find weeping fuel from the spindle bushes, if you do send the carb straight back, it can only take one drip on a hot maifold to set your Bug on fire. Not to mention the smell of fuel in the engine bay
Simon

Thats annoying because the main problem with old carbs is they leak from the throttle spindle! Sounds like they have been poorly machined. I imported mine from the states, it was very cheap, and is not worth sending back, redoing the spindle bushes may be the only option, a job well suited to a machine shop

Just keep an eye on it, i also found that the accelarator was stiff to push half way down with both the Kafer carbs i fitted, the original just feels much better. i just wasn’t happy at paying £130 for such poor quality. Martyn sorted me out with his £15 solex. I fitted a £7 repair kit, good clean and a new accelarator spray jet and i’m away.
Cheers
Simon