winter on the way

So with the cruise season officially over and cars busses ect getting tucked up for the winter soon, whats everyone got planned for the winter?? any projects, rebuilds and general fettling??

As soon as the salt hits the road, or perhaps after the Bathgate Show, Eva the Camper will be coming out of service for an engine and gearbox transplant.
The 1776cc engine has a few too many oil leaks after 6 years excellent service, and I have a 1966cc engine sitting idle in my Beetle that would work well in the Van! I’ll also fit Eva’s Dell 36 carbs to the bigger engine as I’ve found these really economical and should still provide plenty of grunt low down.
Also the 1303 gearbox is making a bit of a whiny noise after the tour d’europe so I reckon it’s better to fit my healthy spare 1302S box instead. Might even attempt to poke around inside and upgrade the shift forks and bearings (like they did to Nigel’s Van in Campervan Crisis!)
Hopefully the Bug will sell to a discerning new owner with it’s standard 1600 engine refitted later in the year.
Plenty to do, but more importantly - not to be rushed! I’ll do whatever it takes to eliminate oil leaks during the build up, as I’m not too keen on polishing the Porsche fan for a third time! :slight_smile:

ive got a large project to finish over winter,wonder if i could have a few bbqs and get all hands on deck :lol: its all coming together and my german looker should be ready for the new season :smiley:

i ment this winter mark :lol:

awe this winter?? no nothing on the go for me :lol:

:lol:

(http://photobucket.com/) Finding the time to get over to the garage to do anything would be good, I have loads to be getting on with

Van needs new clutch, gearlinkages sorted, fuel tank sender replaced, weber carb fitted… not to mention the Baja!!!

My bug is now MOT-less and probably going to stay off the road until spring.
Went to resuscitate a Golf for daily use today and was chuffed when it fired up on the second turn (not started since February). Less chuffed to see the slow drip of petrol from the fuel pump area and dodgy wet patches on the radiator. Bloody water cooling and fuel injection, who needs this modern sh*te?!

the way things are going with my bug rebuild it should be about ready to mot just when the first of the salt hits the road. oh well such is life :smiley:

mark are you going to put some mesh over youre empty shell and turn it into a bbq? as i think you may have to paint it with heat proof paint first. :rasp

purplebug - 2006-09-18 10:09 AM

Van needs new clutch, gearlinkages sorted, fuel tank sender replaced, weber carb fitted… not to mention the Baja!!!

is that an onion baja or veggie 1? :think

bugtastic - 2006-09-18 9:07 PM

mark are you going to put some mesh over youre empty shell and turn it into a bbq? as i think you may have to paint it with heat proof paint first. :rasp

should be alright,ill just put the roof down,grill over the top :smiley:

Its got a roof? :lol:

Where do I start ( The scrappy??)
Lower about 4 inches
Finish spraying interior, fit new interior furniture and rnr seat
Get through MOT
When front doors arrive, spray, build up and fit.
When flush, engine out rebuild 1641 and fit webbers plus new exhaust
Decide exterior colour ( i like jigs’ bug colour some thing close to it would be good a nice blue van for Davey)
That’s not including fixing rusty bits and upgrading the suspension etc.
And next month I’ll overhaul the roof.
Then probably sell it as part of the divorce settlement
:o

Thinks jigs paint code is VW G 4Y Babybloo!!

oh wait… no its still not funny

the girls love the colour Jigs and thats all that counts :lol:

Well, the fasty made its first trip in 4 months without creating its own smog field yesterday (had to finish the engine rebuild in time for the housemove!), so actually getting to drive it would be nice :smiley: Still needs fettling on the timing (it was so far out on the stock setting that I ended up adjusting with the engine running on the hard shoulder of the M80 to stop it backfiring once it was warm!). So i guess sorting the timing out, fettling the carbs, trying to get some times in up at crail when the weather isn’t as pish as it is today, fitting a new exhaust so the slip joints actually seal, and sorting out the rear sus so i scrape the exhaust less… then there’s making up some cool air ducting for the fan, fitting the external oil cooler i’ve just bought, and swapping the stand offs on the decklid round so it won’t be acting like a big sail… and finally wiring up the temp and pressure gauges.

Hmm, that list was a lot shorter in my head.

winter just started bought 97 caravelle just mot’d it now its getting dtripped for camper interior plus lowering plus body kit etc etc